Autumn in Oxford means a lot of rain and puddles everywhere. This, of course, doesn’t mean you have to be stuck in the home all the time. You just need to be careful with your carpets and avoid staining them with mud. But if that unfortunate event occurs in your house, our cleaning teams have some expert carpet washing tips to save the day.
Prevention Is the Best
Ideally, you won’t have to worry about mud stains on your carpet if you have taken all the necessary precautionary measurements. Here is what we are talking about:
- Clean your doormat every couple of days, especially in Autumn when the rains in Oxford are more extensive.
- Do not wear your outdoor shoes inside the home. You have slippers for a reason.
- If you have dogs, you need to wash their paws after every walk outside. If you don’t have the time, clean them with wet wipes.
- After a professional carpet cleaning job always insist the technicians use Scotchgard. This is a strong dirt and dust repellent that will protect your carpets for a longer period of time.
Cleaning Mud from Your Carpets
There are a couple of methods you can try – some are based on natural ingredients, others are just simple cleaning hacks. It all depends on the type of mud smeared on your rugs. Here are two simple but effective ways to remove it:
- Remove as much dry mud as you can. Try vacuuming the damaged area before attempting to treat the stain.
- Mix half a cup of white vinegar with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.
- Put a small quantity of the solution on a cloth and blot the stain.
- Rinse a towel in cold water and use it to clean the dirt and detergent from the carpet.
- Take turns in using the cleaning solution and removing it with the damp cloth.
- Use kitchen paper to dry off the spot and remove the water leftovers.
Using dishwashing liquid
- Repeat the first step from the previous method. It is essential if you want to properly clean your
- Mix 2 tablespoons of colourless detergent and in a cup of cold water. It is important you use a clear dishwashing liquid so your carpet won’t get additional unwanted spots.
- Using a soft sponge blot the stain.
- Remove the access liquid with kitchen paper.
- Rinse only with cold water as the warm one can cause foaming and it will be significantly harder to wash the carpet.
Professional Carpet Cleaning Tips
Removing mud from your rugs is not as easy as it might sound. There are a couple of professional tricks and tips our Oxford experts want to share with you in order to help you have a tidy home:
- Mud stains opposite to other types have to be completely dried off before you attempt to wash them. If you try to remove a wet spot, you will end up with a bigger mess than expected.
- When cleaning a carpet stain both it, don’t rub it. The latter will result in embedding the dirt even deeper in the fibres of your rugs.
- Treat mud spots with cold water first, never with warm one as it will have the opposite effect.
- There are different types of mud so examine the stains carefully before you attempt to remove them. Don’t be discouraged if you can’t clean them from the first time, just be more persistent.
- Mud stains don’t cause permanent discolouration.
- Professional carpet cleaning experts advise using enzyme cleaning products in your Oxford home. The lighter spots will disappear immediately while the stronger ones will fade overnight. Afterwards, you just have to vacuum your carpets.
Additionally below you can see our company included in the best carpet cleaning list for Milton Keynes.